Mar 22, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
Bigger gathering of villainy: the cantina in Mos Eisly spaceport, or Harvard University? The basketball team may be riding high right now, but things are not going so swell back on campus.
This past August Harvard officials announced that 125 students were under investigation for allegedly cheating on a take-home test. And now, Harvard has had four National Academic Quiz Tournament championships vacated due to a cheating scandal.
Also there was Billy Ray Valentine wearing Louis Winthorpe’s Harvard tie. Los Angeles Times:
Harvard Quiz Bowl teams that won four championships between 2009 and 2011 have had those wins vacated because of a cheating scandal involving one student.
A security review revealed that a member of the Harvard Quiz Bowl team accessed information about competition questions prior to games, the National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC, which oversees the competitions, said in a statement posted this week on its website.
The NAQT said it had no evidence that the accused student, Andy Watkins, took advantage of the information he accessed during competition, “but the mere possession of it goes against competitor’s expectations of fair play,” read the statement on its website.
Dean Wormer was not amused.
The Quiz Bowl, for those who don’t know, is a competition pitting students from different universities in a contest of knowledge on history, science and popular culture: kind of like an elaborate game of Trivial Pursuit.
Another black eye for the Crimson means good fortune for Goldy the Gopher. Harvard’s vacated titles have now been awarded to: 2009, University of Minnesota (Undergraduate champion); 2010, University of Chicago (Division I champion); 2011, University of Minnesota (Division I champion) and Virginia Commonwealth University (Undergraduate champion).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles