What does your favorite sport or team say about your politics? Study reveals all (guess where Univ. of Alabama lands?)
Mar 19, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
What is the most liberal MLB team fan base? The team of choice for the most conservative NFL fans? And which college team fan base skews more Republican than any other in the U.S.? The National Journal did a study this past fall which is being re-released now due to the NCAA basketball Tournament, and some of the answers may surprise you.
So Will Feltus, the Senior Vice President for research and planning at National Media in Alexandria, VA., and Mike Shannon, a partner at the management consulting firm Vianovo in Austin, Texas, wanted to know the relationship between sports fans and politics. So they conducted a study and put together some pretty fascinating charts. The Journal study charts not only which teams’ fans are more Democratic or Republican than others, but also how likely those fans are to vote.
As you may have guessed, the results follow political geography pretty closely. For instance, the most conservative MLB team is the Atlanta Braves, and the most liberal is the San Francisco Giants. The NFL team with the most Republican fans? The Dallas Cowboys, by far.
Perhaps more interesting, though, is the breakdown of the sports themselves. The most conservative sports are PGA golf, NASCAR and college football. Most liberal? NBA, soccer and tennis. But the NFL, MLB, Olympics and college basketball are all middle-of-the-road: appealing almost evenly to both Republicans and Democrats, although perhaps leaning slightly right-of-center.
The sports whose fans are most likely to vote? LPGA. Least likely? That would be pro wrestling, followed closely by UFC. So 2016 presidential hopefuls be advised: I wouldn’t spend a lot of time stumping at WWE Smackdown.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Lukas: 'I get paid to spoil dreams'