Grandmother explains grandson’s poor performance in Maryland high school playoff basketball game, takes blame
Mar 16, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Over the years, we’ve seen players blame poor performances on a myriad of things but this might be the first time that a grandmother has come to the aid to explain a poor performance.
Back on Thursday, Goddard Duval High School (Maryland) were upset in the Class 4A boys regional basketball semifinals by Upper Marlboro Wise who defeated them by the score of 85-54. The upset was made even more shocking since Duval had beaten Marlboro twice in the regular season.
Duval’s leading scorer Michael Cunningham was part of the reason why the team fell this time around as he provided one of his worst performances of the season as he scored only six points in the contest.
The Washington Post did a game story about the loss and it appeared that Michael’s grandmother read it and felt the need to explain her grandson’s poor performance in the comments section:
I just wanted to go on record in defense of my grandson’s, Michael Cunningham, weak performance last night by letting readers know that he was battling a severe cold. He called me early in the day and asked could I bring him cough medicine or something because his throat was sore and he was stopped up but he wanted to be at the game. I found out when I got to school that he also had a fever. I should have taken him home but being the kind of person he is, a total team player, he insisted he would be better by game time. I left him some mild over the counter medicine but had no idea that he hadn’t eaten all day because his throat was sore so I feel totally responsible for his lackluster performance last night. Now know this, this is not an excuse because basketball is a team sport and last night the best TEAM won. I just wanted everyone to know why Michael was so off his game.
Clearly, those are pretty legitimate reasons to explain why Michael had such an off game and kudos to his grandma for taking some blame for his poor performance.
She should have went with the Alka-Seltzer Plus….
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: The Office's Baumgartner shows off his golf game
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview