If you’re tired of insulting yourself, Adidas and Google have unveiled shoes that will do it for you (video)
Mar 13, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
It’s South by Southwest week in Austin, Texas, and that means misguided but earnest attempts at unveiling products that advance our culture.
Google has a tentative hit with their ‘Google Glasses’, a version of which is to be released to the general public later this year. To go on that theme, they teamed with Adidas to make shoes that will provide feedback as you run. And if you’re going too slow you bet they’ll insult you. I thought talking shoes were always supposed to be nice and encouraging?
This weekend, at the annual South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas, Google unveiled an early prototype of motion-sensing “smart shoes,” with an embedded speaker on the tongue of the shoe that can yell motivation at you when you’re being lazy, or encourage you when you’re being active.
Google –which created the talking shoes in collaboration with Adidas, design and ad agency 72andSunny and creative thinkery YesYesNo — made it clear to reporters in Austin that it has absolutely no plans whatsoever to actually release the shoes; rather, the next-gen footwear was developed as part of a thought experiment on how wearable technology could interact with the human body and with the Internet. (The shoe, of course, is able to post status updates to Google+, and the video advertisement below shows the shoe with its own Google+ profile.)
Unfortunately, like that 8-wheeled Dodge T-Rex I saw when I was eight at a Philadelphia car show, these are just prototypes that in most likelihood will not hit the market. So go to Google and steal them.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: Marchand strikes again
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars