Mar 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
To our list of mammals that have run onto the field in pro sports, please ad marten.
What is a marten, you ask? They are omnivorous animals related to wolverines and weasels, and apparently enjoy soccer. That’s because one darted onto the field during a Swiss Super League match between Thun and Zurich recently, not once but three times, escaping a net and Zurich’s Loris Benito, who was bitten on the finger for his trouble. The Marten was finally captured for good by the goalie, of course.
“In hindsight, it was obviously foolish of me [to try and catch it],” said Benito after the match. “Who knows what diseases the animal had. But I wanted to play the match and now I simply trust my immune system.”
But since Zurich beat Thun 4-0, Benito isn’t holding any hard feelings against the marten, suggesting that they make it their new mascot. “We have the lion. But the maten has brought us luck.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found