Mar 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Only this one will be closed to the general public. Tebow, who caused quite a few waves recently when he cancelled plans to speak at a controversial megachurch in Dallas, has another speaking engagement planned on Friday: this one at a conservative private college whose officials have criticized gays.
Tebow will speak at Liberty University in Virginia, during its “Convocation” series. Liberty was founded in 1971 by televangelist Jerry Falwell, and its vice president and law school dean, Mathew Staver, has supported the criminalization of homosexuality in Malawi and has said that “one of the gravest threats to our freedom is the sexual anarchy of the gay rights and homosexual movement.”
Tebow cancelled a planned speech at First Baptist Church in Dallas in April after scrutiny of its controversial pastor, Robert Jeffress, who has also been critical of gays and lesbians.
The late Falwell, too, was well known for his outspoken comments. After 9/11, for example, Falwell, along with fellow evangelist Pat Robertson, partly blamed gays and lesbians, among others, for “help[ing] this happen.”
Closing Tebow’s speech to the public has nothing to do with the Dallas megachurch controversy, said a Liberty University spokesman.
Liberty University spokesman Johnnie Moore said the school had long planned on making the engagement private because officials expect a big student turnout.
“The Tebow Convocation has been closed to the general public since we announced his visit months ago,” Moore told the Huffington Post in an email. “It is only closed to the public because of limited seating capacity in our basketball arena.”
There is more than controversy threatening the Tebow speech on Friday, however. Liberty University is located in Lynchburg, Va., where it’s snowing pretty good right now.
if tebow gets canceled because of the snow there will be a mass female riot on the Liberty campus—
Cameron Thacker (@CamThack58) March 04, 2013
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team