Mar 6, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
So there’s this sport called soccer (soc·cer\noun\ˈsä-kər\), and they have these things called red cards, which are like flagrant fouls for people who play sports with their feet. Manchester United star Nani received one in Tuesday’s Champions League round of 16 second match against Real Madrid (seen below).
Many thought the red card wasn’t warranted, but none more so than an 18-year-old Man United fan in Nottinghamshire, England, who decided to call 911 (actually 999, which is the British version).
The 18-year-old United fan, who watched the Champions League match on TV, was so disgusted by the Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir’s decision to send off the United forward Nani that he contacted emergency operators to claim a “crime” had occurred.
Chief Inspector Ted Antill, of Nottinghamshire police, said: “While this recent example may be amusing, it illustrates the sort of insincere calls we have to deal with on a daily basis in the control room. They waste our time and they direct us away from genuine victims of crime, particularly if we dispatch officers out to something that turns out to be a bogus report.”
Police said the man eventually came to his senses and apologized, and will not be charged. Fortunately this never happens in the U.S. — we’re much too civilized.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?