Mar 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Pretty nice find by SportsbyBrooks, and I’m not sure what delights me more: the video (see below) of the 1939 Army-Navy football game, or the newspaper account of said game by the Charleston News and Courier.
This was when sportswriting was sportswriting. Lead paragraph:
Its hostile operations often shrouded in heavy fog, Navy won its first gridiron victory over Army since 1936 here this muggy afternoon before a record crowd of 120,000 and a “gate” of nearly $500,000.
Army had beaten Navy in 11 of their previous 13 meetings when former Navy halfback Emery “Swede” Larson took over coaching duties at his alma mater in ’39. Larson’s teams had beaten Army three times during his playing days, but to insure success as a coach he had the team’s mascot, a goat named Billy VIII, wear the same blanket a previous Billy had worn in Larson’s senior year, 1921.
It worked, as Navy won, 10-0 — its first of five straight victories over Army.
But Larson coached only three of those wins — he quit coaching to serve in the Navy at the outbreak of World War II. Larson actually enlisted in the Marines in 1917, and is still the only Marine to have both played and coached at Navy.
The most amazing aspect of this video is the quality: a lot of it looks like it could have been shot today.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Father of the year catches foul ball
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win