Navy Federal Credit Union teams with the Mobile BayBears to create an unsittable seat for a good cause
Mar 5, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
No matter how well the Mobile BayBears do this season, they will never have a sellout.
And that’s by design. To honor all of the prisoners of war and soldiers missing in action who have never returned, the Navy Federal Credit Union and BayBears (Double-A, Southern League) have dedicated a seat at Hank Aaron Stadium to remain unoccupied for all games. The seat, in row 1, section 107, is painted black, with the POW/MIA insignia on the back. So don’t you sit in that chair. There will be consequences.
BayBears General Manger Heath Bennett:
“This is a very special announcement for a number of reasons, first and foremost we wanted to find a way in our ballpark to permanently recognize the sacrifices of those who protect our freedom. There is a strong military influence in this region and that made finding the right way to show our respect very important to our staff. The seat in section 107, row 1, seat 1, is now a tribute seat that will never be sat in, but it will never be empty.”
The BayBears will hold a ceremony to unveil the seat at their home opener on Wednesday, April 10, during the pre-game festivities. Active military and veterans will be in attendance to help dedicate the seat to the more then 92,000 missing American soldiers. The BayBears will be installing the seat next week.
But don’t you worry, BayBear fans. The Navy Federal Credit Union didn’t just barge in simply to make one your best seats unsittable. There will also be free complimentary tickets to any current or former members of the military, known as their “Tribute to Our Troops”.
If you’re in the Navy, Air Force, Army, Marine Crops or Coast Guard, you’re about to have your own night at the “Hank”, complete with promotions that will be military themed and tables of stuff that you’d enjoy, whatever that may be.
If you aren’t in the military, well, deal with it.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead