Dennis Rodman cancels remaining TV interview schedule following return from North Korea (with update)
Mar 5, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Who would have thought that a week-long visit with a totalitarian dictator would be so controversial?
As you know, Dennis Rodman and North Korean leader Kim Jung-un are the bestest of pals now, and are probably Skyping as I write this. It all happened when Rodman visited North Korea last week in a series of exhibition games and appearances being filmed for a VICE documentary for HBO.
But Rodman wasn’t back in the U.S. five minutes before the kim chee hit the fan. He scheduled a series of media appearances to discuss his visit, and the first stop was ABC’s The Week with George Stephanopoulos. To say that Rodman was out of his element is an understatement, as the former Chicago Bull was grilled in a way that he never was by Grant Hill or Karl Malone.
The bizarre and contentious interview consisted mostly of Stephanopoulos pointing out North Korea’s human rights violations, and Rodman defending his new pal Jong-un — and looking bad doing it.
And now Rodman has cancelled planned appearances ESPN’s Outside the Lines with Bob Ley and CNN’s The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, offering no explanation.
Check out here what Jon Stewart did to Rodman. Among other things, he wondered why they didn’t just send over Benny the Bull.
UPDATE: The New York Post reports that Rodman was ejected from the bar at the Time Hotel in Manhattan on Monday night for ranting about Jong-un and North Korea.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte