Feb 24, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
In this day and age, it’s not strange for sports fans to name their children after their favorite athlete or sports team but one Dallas Cowboys fan by the name of Marissa Pena had to name her unborn child in honor of Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin the 3rd after losing a bet to her boyfriend.
Here’s how the story goes: Pena and her boyfriend, Emanuel Vega were going to spend their first Thanksgiving together and they decided that they wanted to make it special and that’s how the idea of the bet started:
“I thought that was cool, our first official relationship game on Thanksgiving of all days,” Vega said. “She thought it was cool, too, so we needed some kind of bet. She said the loser would wear the jersey of the other team on the last game of the season at a Redskins bar. That would be horrible for me. That would be horrible.”
But they were also pregnant with their first child, and were struggling to come up with a name. And Vega suggested the winner would get to choose the baby’s name.
“She didn’t really disagree with that at all, but she started saying she would name it Troy Aikman or Emmitt Smith, all these old Cowboys,” he recalled. “I would die if my son grew up to be a Cowboys fan. That’d be awful. I don’t even know how I’d feel.”
As per terms of the bet, each of them were given at least one veto of a suggested name. Vega ended up nixing Emmitt Smith and Marissa ended up taking out Darrell Green. The name choices came down to Robert Griffin Vega or Miles Austin Vega. During the this year’s game, Emanuel was somewhat of a wreck due to Tony Romo’s good record against the Redskins in Thanksgiving games:
“I was second-guessing the whole time, like, What am I thinking?” Vega recalled. “If she’s gonna name him after a Cowboys player, there’s no doubt he would be a Cowboys fan. My son, as a Cowboys fan? I might have to disown him”.
After the Redskins pulled out the 38-31 victory, Marissa had to face the results of the bet and to be fair to her, she took it in stride:
“I actually like it,” she said. “I didn’t at first. I think it just stuck with us. All my sisters call him Little Robby Griff. I don’t like the Redskins, but I love his dad.”
Man wins bet, will name son after RGIII [Washington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead