Feb 21, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Not sports, you say? I find your lack of faith disturbing (reader begins to feel choking sensation, reaches desperately for throat).
Yes, San Francisco is the home of two of the past three World Series trophies and the 2013 Super Bowl runnerup, but we also embrace our not-so-inner nerd. Behold: the Golden Gate Knights, a real-life lightsaber combat choreography class.
It all began when two Star Wars fans, martial arts teacher Alain Bloch and fencing instructor Matthew Carauddo, thought they could combine their powers and rule the galaxy. Or anyway, that one portion of Herron St. The result was Golden Gate Knights, a class that combines several fighting disciplines with costumed choreography and, yes, meditation.
Of course my favorite parts of lightsaber usage — stopping laser blasts and freeing oneself from snow creature caves — does not appear to be taught here. So I’m out. But if your soul is dark and twisted and you have become more machine than man, there is a place for you apparently.
Not all Jedis-in-training are rooting for the good guys. Some came to embrace “the dark side of the force.”
“I just love Vader, period,” said the Darth Vader-clad student Gary Ripper. “Just his voice, the way he moved, the power of him. I just liked the powerfulness of him.”
I couldn’t make it all the way through the video below, as my body began to spontaneously generate thick glasses and a pocket protector and I had to stop. Your results may vary.
Um, this last one actually has nothing to do with the class. It’s a cricket spectator in Australia (Game 4 of the Commonwealth Bank One Day International Series between Australia and the West Indies at Sydney Cricket Ground), with a special message to one of the players.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California