Feb 21, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Earlier we told you about Tim Tebow’s withdrawal from a speaking date at First Baptist Dallas, the 11,000-member megachurch headed by pastor Robert Jeffress, who has been criticized for his views on homosexuality, Islam, Catholicism and Mormonism. Jeffress said that he talked with Tebow by phone on Wednesday night, and earlier today had this to say to CNN on the cancellation:
“This in no way is going to diminish what our church is teaching about salvation being available to all through faith in Jesus Christ,” Jeffress said.
Jeffress pointed out that Tebow is a member of the First Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida, a fellow SBC church.
“They certainly believe what we do, that salvation is through Christ alone, and about homosexuality. Tim confirmed that to me last night, that they believe exactly what we do about homosexuality.”
That Tebow has been outspoken about his religious faith is of course no secret. But his specific views on homosexuality and other religions have pretty much been shrouded in mystery, and that’s to his credit, I suppose. Tebow has always been a positive, up-with-people kind of guy, using religion to prop people up, not tear them down. But could it be that Jeffress has just outed Tebow’s real views on homosexuality?
More from Jeffress’ statement to CNN:
“Tim called me last night and explained to me that because of some things going on in his personal life and his career he needed to steer clear of controversy right now, but that at some other date he would like to come and speak at our church,” Jeffress told CNN by phone from Dallas. “Tim has to do what Tim thinks is best for him right now.”
It should be emphasized that no first-hand account exists of Tebow criticizing homosexuality. And in fact, according to the Bible, Jesus was silent about the issue as well.
More Jeffress, to CNN:
“I think Tim is going to discover that no matter how hard you try to hide from controversy, if you stand for the simple truths of the Bible, like faith in Christ, necessary for salvation, and sex (being acceptable only) between a man and a woman in marriage, you can’t avoid controversy. That’s something Tim needs to discover on his own. We in no way want to impugn him. He’s a great man of God who sincerely loves the Lord.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness