Feb 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
He calls himself D Mazel Tov, but his friends and family know him better as Daniel Blumen, a 12-year-old who has a pretty big day coming up. That would be his Bar Mitzvah in May, and rather than send out paper invitations, he made a rap video to get folks to attend.
It’s a remake of 2002′s Welcome to Atlanta music video by Jermaine Dupri and Ludacris, and there’s some star power attached. Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley (in a still photo with Daniel on the TNT set), Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, singer Ne-Yo and even his school principal get involved, plus some cameos by notable Atlanta landmarks such as Turner Field and the Fernbank Museum of Natural History.
“Been workin’ Hebrew since I was five, didn’t even know if I’d survive/ Now I get top billin’, and I’m just chillin’, just wish I wasn’t allergic to penicillin …”
Best part: Daniel rapping in the temple with his Rabbi who is holding a loaf of challah. ABC News:
“We wanted to do something kind of fun to get people excited [about the Bar Mitzvah],” Liz Price, Daniel’s mother, told ABC News. Price said the inspiration came from seeing a New York friend’s own Save the Date video fashioned as a remake of Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind.”
Rick Blumen, Daniel’s dad, is an Atlanta lawyer.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found