Feb 20, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
What if all the NFL logos were British? Sure, we’ve all wondered that. But now here they are in actual art depictions — creations from the warped, comical mind of graphic artist David Rappoccio.
His re-imagined logos are at once comical and profound, because several of them — most pointedly the one at the top of the page here — display several truths as well as being able to amuse. What possessed Rappoccio to create these? I chatted with him via email to find out.
“When the Jaguars unveiled their new logo a few weeks back, I jokingly changed it to the ‘London Silly P******’ to riff on the fact that the Jags seem like a top candidate for relocation, as they are playing more games in London than anyone else,” Rappoccio told Off the Bench. “I thought it was funny, got some good feedback on it. I also realized it was the one-year anniversary of my ‘Manningface’ logos, when I Photoshopped Peyton’s face onto all the existing NFL logos to make a joke about how no one knew where Peyton would end up.
“I figured I would honor that post by doing another 32 team project, this time making all the NFL logos into dumb British stereotypes,” Rappoccio said. “Monocles, top hats, the like. It was a bit more challenging than the Peyton ones, and a few of them required an idea from scratch, but I think they turned out pretty well. The Giants and Titans ones are my personal favorites.”
Why the interest in the Ravens? Well, Rappoccio is from Severna Park, MD, so that may explain it. He attended the Rochester Institute of Technology and now lives in Portland, Ore., where his day job is with Northwest Natural Products, which makes vitamins. He has a BFA in Film/Animation, and also produces the football web comic The Drawplay.
Here are some more of my favorites:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires