Feb 19, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
He’s only nine years old, but chances are that Nikolas Toocheck has more miles on him than you have on your car. That’s because the fourth-grader from West Chester, PA, has been running seriously since he was six, and it’s his goal to complete marathons on all seven continents. To that aim, he and his father leave for Antarctica to compete in the White Continent Marathon & Half on Feb. 25.
Because it’s summer there, the temperature for the race is expected to be about 35 degrees. Balmy.
Based on available records, it is believed that he is the youngest person ever to attempt this feat. Nikolas will be running as part of his campaign, “Running the World for Children.” Nikolas created this campaign to raise money and awareness for Operation Warm, a nonprofit that provides new winter coats to children living in need throughout the United States.
Operation Warm was started by Nik’s grandfather, and the boy says it’s been important to him to try and help others. So that’s pretty awesome. But some might say that he’s is a bit too young to be hopping the globe running marathons (that’s 26.2 miles … I know, because I once measured one from my car). He ran his first marathon in Delaware, about two months ago.
Even though he trains like a crazy person (his parents say that Nik has only missed one day of running over the past two years), they also insist that it’s all safe, and that the boy is constantly being checked by doctors. Still, it all seems a bit much for a nine-year-old, in my opinion.
Quote of the day so far:
“I just think it’s really cool and I’m really excited and I want to meet a penguin,” Nikolas said.
Well, OK then. Carry on.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Burkman and Fitch speak after shocker