Feb 15, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
It was a regular old 1-1 stalemate going into the 93rd minute of Tottenham’s Europa League soccer matchup against Lyon when, after a foul outside the box, Lyon midfielder Gareth Bale got a chance at a last-second free kick to the win the game. And we do mean last-second, because they were in extra time and the ref has said this would be the final play.
And holy smokes did Bale deliver for his team and his fans, with a top-left corner laser beam that also made the goalie do an acrobatic and futile faceplant. Even the Russian judge loved that shot.
This brings up the philosophical quandary, is it still a buzzer beater if there is no buzzer to beat? I’m of the opinion that most if not all sporting events would prosper with the addition of an obnoxious buzzer that tells us when things are over. In fact, why not use a buzzer everywhere, for everything? It worked in high school, didn’t it? And I basically have not changed since then so it would be quite familiar. Imagine hanging out at a party when, all of a sudden, you hear a hockey foghorn and everybody just gets the message and walks out. I know I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.
You can catch full video of the shot and its aftermath right here.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found