Feb 15, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Every once and awhile, God notices mankind crowding the plate. And that’s when you can expect the brushback pitches. First a meteor hit Russia, and then an asteroid half the size of a football field passed within 17,100 miles of Earth. In cosmic terms, that’s a huge rock just missing the brim of our batting helmet and dropping us on the seat of our pants. What have we done to deserve this Bob Gibson treatment? My guess is this.
When giant rocks from space make craters like this, stuff just got real. That photo above is from a dashboard camera, showing a meteor streaking over Chelyabinsk, about 930 miles east of Moscow, earlier today. Scientists estimate it weighed 10 tons, and it set off blasts that injured 500 people.
Among the buildings damaged was Traktor Arena, home of Traktor Chelyabinsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, Russia’s top hockey league.
The emergency services have confirmed that the walls of the Arena Traktor were among those structures to suffer damage, and therefore large-scale events at the stadium have been postponed. The sporting facilities will undergo an inspection by experts to assess the readiness of the arena to return to full operational use.
The results of the assessment will be made public on Monday, after which it will become clear whether the Chelyabinsk club can stage the first games of the play-offs.
And once again, Superman nowhere to be found.
So yeah, meteor showers are all fun and games until they start hitting us like hail. If you’re going out tonight, bring your steel umbrella.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Orb finishes in fourth