Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The shocking news from this morning that Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius was charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, inside his home has taken everyone by surprise — except for advertisers. Just hours after the athlete they call Blade Runner was seen exiting a police station in Pretoria, South Africa, someone took this photo from a car in Johannesburg.
It shows workers taking down a billboard showing Pistorius endorsing a product (the front portion of the billboard for Master Card is unrelated to the story).
Meanwhile, an unfortunately-worded Nike ad, showing Pistorius sprinting with the tagline “I am the bullet in the chamber”, has been pulled from his web site.
The ad showed a lycra-clad Pistorius sprinting out of the blocks next to the sportswear brand’s ‘Just do it’ message and swoosh.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final