Feb 14, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Because no quirky media trend escapes the gaze of the Minor League Baseball marketing gremlins, a Single-A Florida State League team is planning a Marco Rubio Water Bottle Giveaway Night this season. When will the Ft. Myers Miracle hold this gala promotional event? That’s still up in the air, because they’ve invited Sen. Rubio to throw out the first pitch at that game, and would plan it around his availability.
The promotion is the brainchild of Miracles president Steve Gliner.
“The idea really came about while I was watching The Today Show,” Gliner told Off the Bench. “They had a two-minute recap of all the late night humor about the water bottle incident, and it seemed like a fun thing to get in on, since Rubio is based in Florida and it’s in the news.”
The Miracle’s principal owner is Marv Goldklang of the Goldklang Group — a sports entertainment consulting and management firm headed by promotional guru Mike Veek. Among past Miracle promotions have been Billy Donovan Night (in which fans could attempt to negotiate their way out of the price of their ticket) and Mike Tyson Ear Night (fake Evander Holyfield ears, with a bite missing, were distributed).
“We’re still working on it, but I’m sure the bottles will have creative labeling of some sort,” Gliner said. “It’s hot in Florida during baseball season, and any time you can combine hydration with current events, it’s a good thing.”
Of course you know that Rubio famously reached for a water bottle and took a sip during his Republican response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address on Tuesday. The move quickly lit up social media and became fodder for late night talk show hosts.
What else will happen on Marco Rubio Water Bottle Giveaway Night? From the Miracle press release:
In an effort to keep the field saturated, the Hammond Stadium groundscrew will participate in a mid-game rain dance because even the Earth needs a drink on a hot day. Fans can expect to make a big splash with a stadium-wide game of Marco Polo.
Of course, the Miracle will extend an invitation to Senator Rubio to throw out the first pitch, provided he uses the rosin bag beforehand and is thoroughly hydrated.
May I also suggest a dunking booth?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1