Another Tebow incompletion: Virginia State senate committee votes down ‘Tebow bill’ for second straight year
Feb 14, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
A measure that would have allowed home-schooled students to participate in public high school sports was defeated in the Virginia Senate Education and Health Committee on Tuesday — the second straight year that the so-called “Tebow bill” failed to launch.
As you surely know, Tim Tebow played quarterback for Allen D. Nease High School in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., despite the fact that he was home schooled, and didn’t even live in that school district. He was taking advantage of a new law in Florida, the “Tim Tebow Law” passed in 1996, which allowed home-schooled students to participate in athletics in Florida public schools.
But Virginia’s attempt to pass a similar law fell short once again, as Sen. Harry Blevins, R-Chesapeake, again cast the deciding vote.
A dozen or so people spoke out against the bill. Among them were representatives of the Virginia High School League, administrators and coaches.
“Look at who spoke against it,” said Ken Tilley, executive director of the VHSL, who also was opposed to the measure. “All the education groups were against it.”
Opponents of the bill said it created an uneven playing field. Public school athletes must meet a series of eligibility requirements in order to participate. Because of the structure of home-school education, many of those requirements cannot be satisfied by home-schoolers.
Proponents argued that because they pay taxes, the nearly 6,000 high-school aged home-schoolers are entitled to the sports their schools offer.
Look, it’s simple: if it says “Richard Simmons High School” on your jersey, then you should probably attend Richard Simmons High School in order to play for that team. Otherwise, you’ve got AAU basketball, American Legion baseball, etc., for sports. It kind of sucks for tackle football because there are few if any non-school leagues that cater to players older than 14. But that’s the way the home-schooled cookie crumbles. You got to have math class on your patio. I got to play football. It evens out.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?