Feb 13, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
Some say that it’s not only the greatest college rivalry, but the greatest rivalry in all of American sports. And indeed, tonight’s men’s hoops game between Duke and North Carolina will be the game the 136th consecutive time the schools have met with at least one of the teams being nationally ranked.
But as interesting as all that is, it’s the student shenanigans that make this rivalry special. Things like: Duke students stealing Michael Jordan’s college jersey from the rafters of the Dean Dome and holding it for ransom in 1998.
And now this: Some UNC students somehow stole the head of the Blue Devil, Duke’s mascot (pictured), and displayed it on a spike in front of the UNC Book Store.
Here’s a photo of the head right here, with the hilarious caption: Ned Stark disapproves.
Mark Armstrong of WTVS in Raleigh/Durham says Duke confirmed one of its mascot heads is gone but the school has a spare.
Last year, Duke students dressed Chapel Hill’s famous “Silent Sam” statue in a variety of Blue Devils gear. His head, mercifully, remained intact.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found