Feb 13, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
From Refrigerator Perry to Natrone Means to Jerome Bettis to Brandon Jacobs, football has always been a little intrigued by the concept of a fast fat guy who could carry the ball, lumbering through defense on dancer’s feet and tree trunk thighs.
But none of them fits the caricature better than 348-pound David Fangupo of Hawaii’s Kealakehe High School, who put up 534 yards with six touchdowns and a very funny, almost surreal highlight reel filled with trampled defenders and general mayhem. It’s like watching a bunch of spider monkeys trying to take down an elephant. Think Maurice Jones-Drew, except four times bigger.
Per Max Preps, Fangupo helped the Waveriders to a 10-2 record. He’s committed to the University of Hawaii, though he did consider other schools.
According to West Hawaii Today, Fangupo verbally committed to Hawaii last week after being offered a full-ride scholarship. BYU, Georgia Tech and Utah were said to have expressed interest.
“I felt like it was not real at the moment,” said Fangupo, via West Hawaii Today. “I’m excited and feel blessed that they would do that for me.”
Alas, it seems Fangupo will most likely play defensive tackle at the next level, but with those quick feet and surprising top end speed, he could become something special if he hones his craft and works on his game at the next level.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found