Feb 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
As you surely know, the modern hula hoop as we know it was first introduced by the Wham-O toy company in 1957. But America’s world hula hoop domination came to an end today, as nearly 5,000 participants at Thammasat University, Pathumthani, Thailand, performed in a hula hoop competition to break the Guinness World Record for most people dancing with hula hoops. This is a sad day for the U.S., which will surely be mentioned in tonight’s State of the Union address. Associated Press:
The Thai contestants celebrated in full swing after having set a new world record for the most people dancing with hula hoops simultaneously in one place. Guinness World Records adjudicator Seyda Subasi-Gemici said Tuesday that 4,483 people had swung hula hoops to dance music for seven minutes without interruption.
Norville Barnes is furious.
It also occurs to me that being a Guinness World Records adjudicator must be a pretty nice gig.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found