The top zany uniform trends begin with this: Warriors debut short-sleeved jerseys

Feb 11, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT

warriorssleeves

Remember when teams would just get a bunch of plain, colored jerseys, slap on a couple of numbers and call it a day? Those times are long gone, my friend (except for Indianapolis Colts fans). Now it’s just as important to look snappy as it is to play well: and uniforms must be ever-changing, always evolving. It is no longer enough for a team to be innovative with the way it plays — it must also be fashion trendsetters. And let’s face it: new unis drive replica jersey sales. Anyway …

Behold: the Golden State Warriors short-sleeved jersey.

That’s Golden State’s Harrison Barnes modeling the team’s new alternate jersey, to be officially rolled out by Adidas (streamed online) in a couple of hours. Yep, they’re having a press conference and everything. The Warriors will first wear them in a game on Feb. 22 vs. the Spurs. The jersey is the brainchild of Warriors president and CEO Rick Welts, who used to work in marketing.

Adidas and the Warriors, where Welts is president and chief operating officer, unveiled the short-sleeve jersey Monday. It is lighter than the regular tank-top style jersey, according to adidas.

“For me and for the organization, we’re trying to set a really different path for the Warriors,” said Welts, who always has been on the cutting edge of NBA progress. “Going forward, we see ourselves at the edge of innovation and hopefully performance. We’re really excited about it.”

So, wave of the future, or tragic mistake? You be the judge. But whether you like it or not, disturbing new uniform trends are probably here to stay.

Here are the latest uniform shenanigans in other sports.

source:

Pro football: Nike disco NFL collars. When Nike rolled out its new line of NFL uniforms this past spring, this didn’t bother me much. But then I saw them in action, and it was like being haunted by the Bee Gees each Sunday. I know that they’re supposed to represent old-school football neck braces, but to me they represent schmaltz. And the fact that a team that wore these won the Super Bowl is more than I can stand.

source:

College football: Oregon Ducks. I’m all for uniform innovation (OK I’m not, but let’s pretend I am). But I’m also from the school of Pick a Jersey and Go With It. Your reaction to these may vary, but I’m concerned about what Nike is going to come up with next year to try and top itself. Uniforms that change color in relation to the score? Actually, that would be pretty cool.

source:

Minor League Baseball: Lehigh Valley IronPigs tuxedo jersey. The Triple-A Phillies affiliate wore these for one game this past May, and I’m willing to overlook it if they promise it will never happen again. Specialty jerseys are just basically random fashion crimes.

source:

NHL: Nashville Predators. Not a trend so much as just a bad uniform. Who spilled mustard on this?

source:

MLB: Alternate jerseys. With the SF Giants, every Sunday is opposite day. Is it just an obvious ploy for increased team jersey sales? Probably. But mostly it hurts my eyes and makes me thirsty for orange juice. I’m all for a ban on alternate jerseys. Who’s with me? (One man raises hand, but it’s just to get directions to the restroom).

You may be saying to yourself right now, “You may have something there.” Oh, I’ve got something.

1. opshuns - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Nothing wrong with the Giants uniform. Or would you have everyone just wear red, white and blue? Rick you must be a republican and live a very drab life. I am not too up on the Warrior uniforms, but it sure breaks the monotony of the same old things and if the players like them, then who are we to complain.

Enough with this negative journalism…….Somethings are just better not said….

• Rick Chandler - Feb 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Hey Skids, does this guy have me pegged, or what?

>>Or would you have everyone just wear red, white and blue? Rick you must be a republican and live a very drab life.<<

• jimeejohnson - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

That’s a good one, RIck.

2. secularhaze - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

people complain about anything nowadays.

go outside. breathe the fresh air.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

You ever heard of a stage 3 smog alert?

3. rmfields - Feb 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I always thought the Oregon Ducks uniforms were pretty sick. Especially the helmets.

4. joethorntonisclutch - Feb 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Nothing wrong with Nashville’s jerseys or the Giants. If you’ve ever been to a Giants game and witnessed a crowd filled to the brim with orange and black, you know what I’m talking about.

Also, compared to the completely bland uniform Nashville had before, their new ones (even if they’re bright and yellow) are a big step forward in an identity for the team, especially with the guitar strings on the uniform.

Maybe the Warriors uniform looks a little awkward. I think that is likely due to the sleeves for most people, not just an unwarranted fear of bright, nonstandard colors.

5. joegolfer - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Let’s see now. The Warriors new jersey fits supertight, especially under the arms, so the sleeves are going to be rising up and grabbing the players when they move their arms.
    In a sport where the participant is required to raise his arms above his head for most of the game, restricting his movement is not a good thing.
    It’s a shame when fashion designers and idiot owners who have never picked up a basketball pick out the uniforms without thinking how it might affect the performance of the players.