Feb 11, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue hits stands on Tuesday, and we already have a leaked cover photo (pictured) — Kate Upton appears to be the issue’s cover girl for the second straight year. Also, here’s a video with some other highlights from the issue.
But what of the business of the SI Swimsuit Edition? Does it make money?
Oodles, says Forbes Magazine.
In 2005, ad sales for that magazine’s issue were estimated at $35 million. It would not be shocking if that figure were closer to the $40-50 million range now (or higher), especially with the proliferation of digital media.
Big money for the women who appear in the Swimsuit Issue. Kate Upton is the ‘it’ girl of the moment, and has parlayed her assets into an estimated $2 million worth.
Elle Macpherson, the last model to appear on the cover in back-to-back years (actually three straight, from 1986-88), has an estimated worth of $45 million, according to Forbes. So yes, the SI Swimsuit Edition can be a real career launching pad.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found