Feb 6, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
You may remember the California Institute of Technology from its 310-game conference losing streak in men’s basketball, which was broken in 2011. Or how about the women’s volleyball team, which snapped a 56-match losing streak in in 2012? Well, now the CIT record no one thought could be broken has been broken: Cal Tech has won a baseball game.
Get out! (Elaine shoves Jerry).
Yep, the Beavers ended their 228-game losing streak on Saturday with a 9-7 win over Pacifica University (San Dimas, CA). It was Caltech’s first win since 2003.
After dropping the first game of its season-opening doubleheader 5-0, Caltech won the second behind a complete-game seven-inning effort by freshman Daniel Chou.
“It was almost as if they had been there before,” first-year coach Matthew Mark said.
But now, a bigger challenge — and losing streak — looms. Saturday’s win was in a non-conference game. So the Beavers (Div. III) still have a 463-game conference losing streak on their hands. Caltech hasn’t won a Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference game since 1988.
Caltech has also produced 31 Nobel Prize winners and is ranked as the best university in the world in Engineering and Physical Sciences, before you start getting to feel too sorry for them.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Play Video: LeBron: 'I just made a layup'
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: Monaco Grand Prix is like no other
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Soft and supersoft tires being used in Monaco
- Play Video: Sens' coach refuses to take questions