That Bar Refaeli makeout commercial finished dead last in the USA Today Super Bowl ad meter standings. But what finished first?
Feb 4, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
It reportedly took 65 takes to get the kiss just right, but Super Bowl viewers were not impressed. The GoDaddy commercial in which supermodel Bar Refaeli kissed “computer nerd” Jesse Heiman (video below) finished last in the USA Today Ad Meter rankings released last night.
First place? That went to Budweiser’s “Horse and trainer united”, in which a trainer and the Budweiser Clydesdale he raised are reunited during a street parade. That registered a 7.76 on the ad meter, narrowly beating Tide’s “Miracle stain” spot, in which a salsa stain in the form of Joe Montana appears on a guy’s 49ers jersey and causes a national sensation (only to be washed out by his wide, a Ravens’ fan). That got a 7.75.
Both can thank the 49ers for their high ranking. Both commercials were in the second half as San Francisco mounted a comeback to make the game close — one last 49ers’ comeback for Montana, as it turns out.
Lew Patton was on the USA Today voting panel, and talked to Off the Bench about his votes:
“I was invited to join the USA Today Ad Meter Panel to rank the Super Bowl ads for 2013 Super Bowl. Here is the way I voted:
My No. 1 commercial was the Dodge Ram commercial about Farmers. I thought this commercial was spot on. I thought it took courage to produce and to pay for at the Super Bowl. Everything that Paul Harvey said, was something that most all of my friends here in Texas, at least, believed. But Texas has lots of pick-up trucks too. I knew while the commercial was playing that this was going to take lots of flack, but I just thought it was an awesome commercial.
My No. 2 commercial was Jeep “Families Waiting” commercial. If you couldn’t enjoy this one, there must be something wrong with your heart. Perhaps because I am a veteran this hit me close to home. I had a sudden allergy problem in front of my guests while watching this.
What about the Bar Refaeli commercial? I ranked it dead last as well. It was sickening, and didn’t arouse me at all. Just the opposite. I can’t think of any way this commercial could have been worse.”
Last year’s USA Today Super Bowl ad meter winner was the Doritos spot in which a grandmother fires a baby in a slingshot. Go figure. The voting was a bit different last year, as it was opened online to the general public.
The complete rankings:
The Top Ten:
1. Anheuser-Busch (Horse and trainer reunited). 60 seconds, 3rd quarter … 7.76
2. Tide (Miracle Stain). 60 seconds, 4th quarter … 7.75.
3. RAM (Farmers). 120 seconds, 4th quarter … 7.43.
4. Doritos (Fashionista Dad). 30 seconds, 2nd quarter … 7.27.
5. JEEP (Families waiting). 120 seconds, halftime … 7.20.
6. Kia (Space Babies). 60 seconds, 4th quarter … 6.74.
7. Doritos (Goat 4 Sale). 30 seconds, 1st quarter … 6.71.
8. NFL (Deion Sanders returns). 60 seconds, 3rd quarter … 6.68.
9. Hyundai (Kid assembles team). 30 seconds, 1st quarter … 6.65.
10. Audi (Prom). 60 seconds, 1st quarter … 6.64.
11. Taco Bell, Viva Young 60 2 6.55
12. Coke, Security Camera 30 1 6.38
13. M&Ms, Love ballad 30 1 6.34
14. Best Buy, Asking Amy Poehler 30 1 6.23
15. VW, Get Happy office guy 60 2 6.19
16. Skechers, Cheetah race 30 2 6.16 (tie)
17. Toyota, Rav4 wish granted 60 1 6.16 (tie)
18. NFL, Thank you 30 HT 6.14
19. Mercedes-Benz, Deal with the devil 60 4 6.11
20. Samsung, Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan 120 4 6.06
21. Hyundai, Passing obstacles 30 2 6.01 (tie)
22. Anheuser-Busch, Bud Light Voodoo 60 2 6.01 (tie)
23. MILK, The Rock running 30 2 5.98
24. Speed Stick, Guy doing laundry 30 3 5.97
25. E*Trade, Baby getting wealthy 30 3 5.93
26. Oreo, Whispering in the library 30 1 5.88
27. Wonderful Pistachios, PSY Gangnam Style 30 3 5.60
28. Walt Disney, Iron Man 3 trailer 30 3 5.58
29. Anheuser-Busch, Bud Light lucky chair 60 3 5.55
30. Coke, Mirage 60 2 5.54
31. Cars.com, Puppy is a wolf 30 2 5.52
32. Kia, Hot Bots 30 3 5.51
33. Walt Disney, The Great and Powerful Oz trailer 30 1 5.48
34. Hyundai, Epic play date 60 PK 5.42
35. SodaStream, The effect of SodaStream 30 4 5.39
36. Paramount Pictures, Star Trek Into Darkness 30 2 5.4
37. Blackberry, My new Blackberry 30 3 5.16
38. Universal Pictures, Fast & Furious 6 trailer 60 1 5.11
39. Century 21, Wedding faints 30 3 4.98 (tie)
40. Gildan, Guy needs his t-shirt 30 3 4.98 (tie)
41. Subway, Jocks love Jared 30 2 4.86
42. Pepsi Next, Parents like to party 30 1 4.81
43. GoDaddy.co, Danica Patrick pilots plane 30 2 4.80
44. Lincoln, MKZ Phoenix 30 2 4.66
45. Pepsi, Halftime show countdown 30 HT 4.63
46. MiO, Fit Tracy Morgan anthem 30 3 4.45
47. Axe, Lifeguard 30 3 4.33
48. Lincoln, Wacky road trip ends in marriage 30 3 4.19
49. Subway, Jocks can’t say Februany 30 3 4.07
The Bottom 5
50. Calvin Klein, Guy in underwear 30 2 3.88
51. Anheuser-Busch, Black Crown party 30 1 3.73
52. Anheuser-Busch, Beck’s Sapphire fish singing 30 3 3.66
53. Anheuser-Busch, Black Crown “coronation” 30 1 3.64
54. GoDaddy.co, Bar Refeali make out 30 1 3.30
Thanks to Lew Patton for the rankings.
Mar 31, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
Since this will be the final post in the history of Off The Bench, I feel that this post can’t just be a simple post about an NFL player buying segways for his teammates or an improbable buzzer beater from a high school basketball game. I’d like to echo the sentiments that Rick featured in…
Mar 31, 2013, 7:13 AM EST
As Opening Day of Major League Baseball is just around the corner, Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels will be getting the starting nod against the Atlanta Braves. If you have been following the Phillies during spring training, you might have noticed that Hamels has been growing a rather impressive mustache. Below are just some photos…
Mar 30, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Back in 2012, Vanderbilt University’s baseball team pulled off a successful triple steal in a game against Florida in the SEC Tournament. Earlier this week, Vanderbilt pulled off that rare feat again in a non-conference game against Lipscomb University. With runners on first and second, Commodore manager Tim Corbin called for the steal and before…
Mar 30, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
Back on Tuesday, the United States men’s soccer team traveled to Azteca Stadium to face Mexico in a World Cup Qualifying match. After the match ended in a draw, a group of happy United States fans celebrated the 0-0 score in the upper deck of the Azteca. As chants of USA got louder and louder,…
Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
In case you haven’t heard, Easter Sunday is the final day of Off the Bench: this blog will cease operations as of 11:59 p.m. on that date. So the day after March 31, there will be no new posts on this blog. The timing is fine: I see no reason people would wake the next…
Mar 27, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
So the Miami Heat have won 27 straight, and have an excellent chance of breaking the NBA record for consecutive wins, 33, set by the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers. Here’s a pretty good breakdown comparing the two teams. But if you’re like me, it’s not enough to know that Thor and Hercules were both very…
Mar 26, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Life as a lesser Belushi can be frustrating at times, I’d imagine: even though you occasionally get to be in films like Trading Places and be married to Courtney Thorne-Smith. Also you get to participate in Shoot-the-Puck contests at Chicago Blackhawks games. Jim Belushi was born in Chicago, so I sure hope he makes this…
Mar 25, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
If you’re a fan of vintage tennis posters — or, you know, hot chicks — the you may be familiar with ‘Tennis Girl’. That’s the photo of 18-year-old Fiona Butler showing her mostly bare backside, shot by her boyfriend, Martin Elliott, and made into an iconic, best-selling poster in the 1970s. Lauren Davis of the…
Mar 25, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
But that’s not even the most incredible part of this story. Iram Leon, 32, won the 2013 Gusher Marathon in Beaumont, Texas on Saturday despite the fact that he has terminal brain cancer. He ran the entire race while pushing his 6-year-old daughter Kiana in a stroller, winning with a time of in 3:07:36. That’s…
Mar 24, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
Honestly, I didn’t think that a statue of a horned frog would scare me but the latest edition to the TCU football stadium might cause me to look under my bed for the next couple of days. On Saturday, TCU unveiled the newest edition to Amon G. Carter Stadium as a bronzed horned frog will…
Mar 24, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
There might not be a individual in sports known for his wacky fashion sense than Turner Sports sideline reporter Craig Sager. Over the years, Craig has provided the world and a bunch of NBA players cannon-fodder for his strange color combinations and for those of you who think that Craig just wears those zany outfits…
Mar 24, 2013, 8:33 AM EST
At almost every college/professional basketball game these days, one lucky fan is brought out onto the court to win some sort of cash or prize by making a number of shots or a half-court shot. For most, the pressure is pretty high but for one Serbian basketball fan attending an Adriatic League basketball game between KK Igokea…
Mar 23, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
After playing together for Team USA in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, it appears that Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips became fast friends with Boston Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino. Back on Friday night, Phillips took to his Twitter account to show off a pair of size 6.5 Louboutin sneakers that he bought for…
Mar 23, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
Over the last couple of years, it appears that college athletic programs have been trying to one up each other in trying to create the most creative-looking football field or basketball courts. Back on Wednesday, Florida International men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino revealed the latest possible crazy basketball court design on his Twitter account. The…
Mar 23, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
Over in Atwood, IL, all systems are go for a fundraiser in which an AR-15 rifle — the same type used in two recent school massacres — will be raffled off to benefit the local youth baseball league. According to the people involved this is all perfectly kosher, and one lucky fan will be heavily…
Mar 23, 2013, 8:35 AM EST
While it’s normal for soccer goalies to come up on corner kicks to create an extra attacker, it isn’t normal for them to take motorcycle rides back to their own goal. Sadly, there isn’t a whole lot of information about the below video except for the fact that it occurs during a soccer match on…
Mar 22, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
Bigger gathering of villainy: the cantina in Mos Eisly spaceport, or Harvard University? The basketball team may be riding high right now, but things are not going so swell back on campus. This past August Harvard officials announced that 125 students were under investigation for allegedly cheating on a take-home test. And now, Harvard has…
Mar 22, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
Don’t those dual hair parts kind of resemble devil horns? Isn’t his trash-talking style kind of evil? Is his shot selection from the pit of hell? Yes, yes and yes. Every good story needs an antagonist, and the NCAA Basketball Tournament has theirs in Mississippi guard Marshall Henderson. What we have here is not exactly…
Mar 21, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
Anybody wondering what Andre the Giant would have been like as a college basketball player, look no further than Sim Bhullar — New Mexico State’s 7-foot-5, 360-pound freshman from Toronto. Bhullar, the tallest player in college basketball, has 85 blocked shots and led the WAC in field goal percentage at 63.2 percent. Hey, it’s not…
Mar 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
This video proves once again that great champions are made to order, not born. The Allen Americans of the Central Hockey League, a Double-A affiliate of the Dallas Stars, had their Fourth Annual McDonald’s Night at Allen Event Center in Allen, TX, recently. This of course called for McDonald’s-themed uniforms (later auctioned for charity), but…
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found