Feb 3, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Wouldn’t you know it? Just as Manti Teo’s girlfriend was about to make her appearance at the Super Bowl, the lights went out (see photo below). What a shame: will we never get to see her? Still no official word on what caused the 30-plus minute power outage at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome during the third quarter, so we’re left to draw our own conclusions. The popular theories are:
- Jim Harbaugh found the breaker box and went at it with a hammer. The momentum shall be changed, and it shall be changed now.
- Squirrels. These furred anarchists are known to frequent sporting events, and enjoy chewing wires.
- David Ortiz.
Whatever the reason, it did give players and viewers alike a chance to catch their breath. As for myself, I made a quick run to the store. By the way, there is nothing more deserted of people and in a state of bleak and dismal emptiness than a Home Depot during the Super Bowl.
Hard to say if the power outage affected the game, but it did affect the viewers. Here are some of their tweets.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found