Feb 3, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
Did you know that the Empire State Building’s observation tower is the East Coast’s No. 1 tourist destination? I would have guessed Madonna’s apartment, but I’m rarely right about such things. Anyway, as of Nov. 27, the Empire State Building has been equipped with light show technology: a Philips LED lighting system which has 16 million colors as well as special effects like ripples, cross-fades, and strobes.
And they’ll be tracking today’s game, lighting up the top of the building in the colors of the Super Bowl team which scores the most recent touchdown.
In addition, the building will be lit in the winning team’s colors until dawn on Monday.
Here’s the light show in action, set to an Alicia Keys tune:
In other landmark lighting news, Grace Cathedral in San Francisco was lit in red last night, and clergy donned red vestments for today’s services.
The Superdome in New Orleans resembled the mother ship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments