Feb 3, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
The Superdome in New Orleans last night resembled the mother ship from Close Encounters. In other news, I’ll be watching the Super Bowl in a grubby sweatshirt while sculpting The Devils Tower out of a mound of mashed potatoes. The wife and kids will be at her mother’s.
It’s no secret: I’m a crazed 49ers fan. So there will be no live blog of the Super Bowl commercials: I’m just too wrapped up in the game. If SF wins, it will be Super Bowl trophy No. 6. That would tie the Steelers for most ever … but more importantly, that would make the 49ers 6-0 in Super Bowls. They’ll be chanting “We’re the all-time champs on a percentage basis!” in the streets of San Francisco tonight.
But I realize that it’s asking way too much of the universe to grant both Giants World Series and 49ers Super Bowl trophies in the same sports year, so I’m fully prepared for a Ravens victory. And that’s fine: Baltimore is a cool place. Or, as Jelisa Castrodale just wrote on Facebook:
In honor of the Ravens’ namesake, Edgar Allan Poe, I will be watching the game in a rabies-induced delirium.
As the minutes tick down to kickoff, here’s some other stuff to check out:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found