Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
A charter boat operator in Panama claimed that his fishing boat was sunk after they hooked into a giant black marlin which capsized the boat. Here’s an amazing set of photographs taken from a nearby boat, which appears to show the marlin pulling the boat over by the fishing line.
The truth of it was, however, a little less dramatic. Here’s the story from The Hull Truth, a boating forum:
Direct from Panama I was told that the sea conditions were not as calm as they seem to be in the pictures and the Captain was an experienced Captain. The seas were full of big swells and large waves. A large wave came over the transom and with the anglers all being in the starboard corner the boat leaned… the Captain in the tower lost his footing [and] while the boat was still in reverse another wave came over the transom. At this time, the captain slipped and, believed to still have his hand on the throttle, putting the boat in full reverse burying the transom into the next waves and swells.
In other words, the boat was “backing up” on the fish, the captain tripped and hit the throttle, and waves capsized the boat. Still, though, it wouldn’t have happened if the fish didn’t put up such a big fight. Isn’t that the way the boat was sunk in Jaws?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement