Feb 1, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Is there anything lower than a Ravens fan? Not to 49ers season-ticket holder Sharon Osgood. The Hayward woman and her boyfriend had wired $5,900 to a man in Florida for what they though were four tickets to the Super Bowl. But when they received a FedEx package in the mail, all it contained was a picture of quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick and Joe Flacco, with this note:
“Enjoy the game!!!! Go Ravens!!! LOL.”
Osgood had been scammed. She had met the man on Craigslist, and had been “talking with him on the phone for a week” about the sale. (Police say they have several good leads in tracking down the scammer).
Meanwhile, Ticketmaster CEO Nathan Hubbard read about Osgood’s plight in the San Jose Mercury News, and quickly arranged for four replacement Super Bowl tickets for the family — plus something extra. Osgood and her boyfriend will get to have breakfast in New Orleans with Troy Aikman.
“My heart literally was in my throat; it was fluttering — I was like, ‘Oh my God, I can’t believe this is happening.’ I can’t put into words how grateful I am,” Osgood, a 49-year-old utility worker, said between tears after getting the news.
“I wish I could tell you that we don’t hear this story a lot, but we do,” Hubbard told a reporter and Osgood on a conference call. “There are a lot of places that fans go to buy tickets that aren’t safe, and they get completely exploited. And it drives us crazy.”
Taking the time to taunt this woman with a cruel note in the return mail was the touch of a true lout. I’ll be watching to see if they catch him.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona