Jan 30, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
A Fargo, North Dakota youth hockey league is raffling off 200 firearms, among them semi-automatics and AR-15 assault rifles, to raise money for ice rink time. The league caters to players as young as 4 years old.
West Fargo Youth Hockey Association organizers say the raffle fulfills two needs in the community — to help residents get hard-to-acquire guns, and to help kids get onto the ice. Because hey, it’s all about the kids.
But hey, there are rules and conditions. Excerpt:
10. Any prizes and all guns are subject to change caliber or model change based on current availability.
12. All unclaimed items after 60 days become property of the West Fargo Hockey Association.
Here come the Mighty Mites onto the ice … and they’re armed!
Raffle organizer Mike Prochnow explained to radio station KFGO in Fargo, N.D., that the raffle was planned back in August, well before the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. Tickets are selling well so far, the station wrote, adding that three of the prizes are Rock River AR-15 assault weapons. The rifles are similar to the Bushmaster AR-15 used in the Sandy Hook attack that killed 20 children, according to Newsday.
My main worry is that all of this is going to make people associate hockey with violence, and we wouldn’t want that.
North Dakota Youth Hockey League Raffles Off Guns To Raise $90,000 [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found