Jan 29, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are not big fans of America’s appetite for chicken wings, as one might imagine. Their contention is that the wings should stay on the chickens. So how to get the point across during Super Bowl week? Use the Manti Te’o saga, of course.
Americans consumed 1.25 billion chicken wings during the Super Bowl in 2012, and about 12 billion wings overall that year, according to a spokesman for the National Chicken Council (my old job). PETA finds this appalling, and is proposing to fight back with a billboard to be seen near the Superdome in New Orleans (the billboard isn’t up yet).
From The Peta Files:
Manti Te’o may have been buffaloed by a fake girlfriend, but sometimes “fake” is actually better. That’s why PETA created this billboard urging football fans to avoid unnecessary roughness to chickens on Super Bowl Sunday by intentionally grounding real chicken wings and opting for play-action fake fowl instead:
Those animals in PETA’s “Glass Walls” video? Unlike Manti’s make-believe girlfriend, their deaths are real. Birds slaughtered for their wings and other body parts are often dropped into tanks of scalding-hot water while they are still conscious and aren’t covered by even the meager protections of the Humane Slaughter Act.
The price of chicken wings is currently skyrocketing because of higher feed costs caused by this summer’s drought, which makes now the perfect time to try vegan wings, such as Gardein Classic Style Buffalo Wings, a favorite of vegetarian and former Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams.
Well, Ricky Williams likes a lot of things.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris