Jan 29, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
Some say that companies are crazy to leak teasers to their Super Bowl commercials: not only does it ruin the surprise, but it will make people less likely to notice the message. I say it’s clever — free advertising that goes a long way toward making back the $4 million for a 30-second spot during the big game.
Many Super Bowl ads are already out there on YouTube — in some cases the entire 30-second spots. Let’s take a look at the five best so far.
1. Audi of America, Prom. Not only is the commercial pre-released, but so is the music: the spot features the upcoming single Can’t Win Em All by Hanni El Khatib, now available on iTunes.
2. Volkswagen, Sunny Side (extended version). The car company does it again: their Super Bowl spots are consistently great. This time they seem to have gathered subjects from several of the most popular internet memes for a sing-along.
3. Volkswagen, Get In Get Happy. This has already caused some controversy. In the ad, Dave, a white guy from Minnesota, talks in a Jamaican accent to find his “happy” place. But some, among them CNN correspondent and New York Times columnist Charles Blow, think it’s racist: “I don’t like it all. It’s like blackface with voices. I don’t like that.”
5. Mercedes-Benz, Kate Upton washes car (extended version). This was the first Super Bowl commercial released into the wild, and has received mixed reviews so far. But it’s the one everyone is talking about.
6. Kia America, Space Babies (teaser). This shows potential. According to the press release, “A flustered father shares an epic tale with his curious young son from behind the wheel of the new 2014 Sorento CUV. Scheduled to air in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVII and directed by Jake Scott, “Space Babies” reveals the existence of a faraway planet known as “Babylandia” and follows infant boys, girls, dogs, pandas and more on their journey to Earth to join their new families. After taking it all in, the curious child begins to offer an alternative theory passed on by a friend but his quick-thinking father calls upon UVO’s voice-activated jukebox feature to hurriedly change the subject and survive another day in the adventures of parenthood.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found