Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
This guy here is Garrett McNamara, and if you’re a surfer you should just quit now, because you’ll never top what he just did. According to reports, and this pretty amazing photo, McNamara rode a 100-foot wave and lived to tell about it.
The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.
It happened off the coast of Nazaré, Portugal, recently, where McNamara claims to have ridden the monster wave. There’s video of it below. If verified (experts have a way of measuring the wave through video), it would be a world record. McNamara, of Haleiwa, Hawaii, won the Biggest Wave title at the 2012 Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards with his world record 78-foot wave ridden at Praia do Norte, Nazaré, Portugal on Nov. 1, 2011.
Here’s the trailer from an upcoming short film on the feat, which includes shots of the giant wave.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found