Jan 28, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
I started watching this video with much apprehension and finished it with a new found respect for these kids who obviously practiced their butts off in order to amaze us in a sport that seems lame until those kites are darting around the gymnasium with moves that look like they belong on an alien spacecraft.
Spencer Watson took home the open individual indoor unlimited competition with a set of dips and dives that kind of make it seem like he’s some sort of dark Sith Lord if you imagine he’s doing it all with his mind and not his kite strings. His Midichlorian levels must be through the roof.
If there’s a blooper reel for this, I’d love to see it. My favorite kite memories are the ones where the pilot loses control out of nowhere and the kite comes screaming towards earth like a peregrine falcon zeroing in on its prey as everybody scatters in fear as the kite crashes onto the head of some innocent passerby.
My least favorite kite memories are the ones where there’s no wind and everybody’s standing around a soccer field yelling at me, “MAKE IT FLY ALREADY!”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found