Jan 28, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
So you’re a hockey coach who thinks the refs have been doing a terrible job? Why not put on sunglasses and use a hockey stock for a cane, go out onto the ice and imitate a blind man? That will get you tossed from the game for sure — but it’s also hilarious. Well played, Chris Clark.
He’s the assistant coach of the Wenatchee Wild, a North American Hockey League squad (Junior A Tier II) from Wenatchee, WA. Clark, upset with the officiating in his team’s game with the Kenai River Brown Bears on Saturday night, put on a bow tie and sunglasses and grabbed a hockey stick to do a blind man impression in front of startled refs. He was eventually thrown out of the game.
The crowd of about 3,500 loved it, however.
Wenatchee’s head coach was also tossed, and the team lost 2-1. But there was more:
Team president Bill Stewart finished out the final 6:29 of the third period in the Wild’s bench. In the aftermath of the emotionally-charged and hard-fought battle, there were three ejections (all from Wenatchee) and 109 penalty minutes on 24 infractions. The Wild accrued 70 of the penalty minutes.
Tempers didn’t quell after the third period ended, either. Several fights broke out between the two teams after regulation and the officiating crew had its hands full attempting to restore order in the rink.
Fans got in on the action too, throwing beverages at the Brown Bears as they exited the ice.
Why was I not informed that the NAHL was so entertaining?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming