Sammy Sosa says he and Mark McGwire deserve to be in Hall of Fame; and he may be open to run for president in Dominican Republic
Jan 24, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
So Sammy Sosa wants to be President of the Domincan Republic. Well, he didn’t actually go that far — but he did say “You never know” when asked about it. That would be, um, something. The big news, though, is that Sosa said during an interview on Ustream on Wednesday that he thinks both he and Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame. He also said that the Cubs should retire his number.
Asked if he thinks he or McGwire belong in the Hall, Sosa said: “I think so.”
“I’m not going to come here and say anything that is going to jeopardize my future,” he added. “But definitely time will determine everything. Right now whatever it is, it is. I am not (somebody who) is going to go out there and say anything I don’t want to say. I’m waiting for my time. … I don’t like controversy. Definitely time will determine everything.”
Sosa, of course, along with Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were denied entry to the Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility. McGwire was repelled on his seventh try.
Sosa, who finished with 609 home runs and ranks eighth on the all-time chart, received 12.5 percent of the vote. He was among those who tested positive in Major League Baseball’s 2003 anonymous survey, The New York Times reported in 2009. He told a congressional committee in 2005 that he never took illegal performance-enhancing drugs.
But becoming president of a small country may be easier. I’m not saying that Sammy Sosa wouldn’t be a great president of the Dominican Republic, but for some reason the Woody Allen movie Bananas keeps coming to mind.
“From now on, citizens must change their underwear every thirty minutes. Underwear will be worn on the outside, so we can check.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL