Jan 24, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Heidi Russo has given interviews before — she’s the biological mother of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick who gave him up for adoption about six weeks after his birth. Russo was 19 then and living in Milwaukee, and Colin was adopted by Teresa and Rick Kaepernick.
Russo has been in touch with Colin, but not in person or over the phone. On Tuesday she talked with Fox 11 TV in Denver, repeating that she’d like the opportunity to meet with her son.
While Colin Kapernick’s mom says she has always been one of his biggest fans, she wants to be clear she’s simply not jumping on his bandwagon now because of his new-found success.
“Don’t get me wrong, I am not ‘coming out’ to share in any of the success Colin is having, I just want him to know I never stopped thinking about him,” said Russo. “For my family, we will just be cheering for Colin just as loud as the Kaepernicks will be, come Super Bowl.”
Russo said she hopes to meet her son face-to-face one day. She said it’s up to Colin as to when that day will ever come.
All I can say about this latest interview is, um, nice timing?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found