Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
How big is Sloane Stephens right now? Of course there’s only one way to know: let’s check Twitter. After defeating Serena Williams in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open today, Stephens, 19, has gained about 30,000 Twitter followers: up from around 15,000 on Tuesday. Among those new fans are Shaquille O’Neal and Dirk Nowitzki.
Some Sloane Stephens facts:
She’s the daughter of the late John Stephens, an NFL running back who played for the Patriots, Chiefs and Packers from 1988-94.
Her mom is Sybil Smith Stephens, a former swimmer at Boston University who in 1988 became the first African-American female to be named First Team Division I All-American. She’s now a psychologist.
Born in Plantation, FL, grew up in Fresno, CA, now resides in Coral Springs, FL.
Current world ranking: No. 25.
Started playing tennis at age nine. One of her idols growing up was Serena Williams, whose poster she had on her bedroom wall.
After beating Williams today, Stephens said “I think I’ll put a poster of myself (up) now.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead