Jan 23, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Love indoor sports, but can’t deal with all the differently-colored lines and markings? Am I playing handball or badminton? It’s a madhouse … A MADHOUSE.
Well, the world’s first interactive gym floor is here to save your sanity. ASB GlassFloor lights up the playing surface with LED markings, and you can change them to different sports with the touch of a button. Your next pickup basketball game could be like a game in the movie Tron! Except that you are Jeff Bridges and you suck at basketball.
From the company web site:
The properties of glass allow for more than just an optimized floor surface. LED marking lines can be switched on/off or changed on demand. Originally designed for the sport of squash where portable All-Glass-Courts are erected in all types of locations, like city centres, in front of the pyramids or in shopping centres. The floor is suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
Outdoor use? How many gallons of Windex are needed to clean it? The site does not say.
The one way translucence of the floor allows a whole new range of possibilities. LED lines or screens can be seen through the floor but when but when not illuminated, they are invisible. The floor is very long lasting and sustainable.
Here is the floor in action:
This does not interest me, with one exception: a basketball game played with the lights turned out, except for the floor, and all the players in glow-in-the-dark uniforms. That is what I want to see.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found