Jan 22, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Anyone remember the old ABC Wide World of Sports intro? If so, when you saw this photo you immediately thought “Agony of defeat”. That’s Daiki Ito failing at the ski jump during the FIS Men’s Ski Jumping World Cup in Sapporo, Japan, on Sunday. We can chuckle now because he was uninjured … but that looked kind of frightful, and weird.
Ito eventually did get the hang of it, however:
Jan Matura of the Czech Republic won the large hill competition with 247 points, and Robert Kranjec of Slovenia was second with 245.7. U.S.competitors Peter Frenette (187.6) and Anders Johnson (74.2) were 20th and 41st, respectively.
The most majestic ski jump photo you’ll see today:
Adam Pretty, Getty Images.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found