Jan 22, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
It’s kind of a tradition for shoe companies to showcase some of their new shoe designs at the NBA All-Star game as they strap their shoes on the likes of Kobe and LeBron and Wade and Carmelo and Durant and then watch sales skyrocket as fans clamor to look like their idols. It’s also a time for Ron Artest to do crazy stuff, like wear mismatched shoes in an attempt to land a shoe deal.
This year’s Nike crop have taken on the theme of “Extraterrestrial”, complete with unnecessary back stories as to where these space shoes originated. For example, LeBron’s shoe arrived on a meteor made of black diamonds.
This must mean we’re one step closer to NBA superstars playing with diamond encrusted platinum shoes like I always thought would happen. By the way, where are the shoes that can make you jump higher: you know, trampoline shoes? Those should exist by now. There are a lot of dunks I want to try out.
(Editor’s note: Jimmy is getting impatient for those trampoline shoes!).
LeBron X ”Extraterrestrial”
Rumored to have journeyed to earth on a meteor made of the galaxy’s hardest substance – black diamonds, the model takes a a purple hue for the overlays and black rests within the inlays. Furthering the story the model originated from NSP-LJ6, a planet discovered by the Nike Space Program (NSP).
Kobe 8 System ”Extraterrestrial”
Originating on planet NSP-KB24, the Kobe 8 is part of the guardian of the five rings. Able to freeze his opponents in his stance, Kobe has been given an orange tinted look over the engineered mesh upper and green highlights over the Nike Swoosh and liner.
KD V ”Extraterrestrial”
Known as the legendary Dark Matter, his weapon of choice will be the KD V. Believed to have originated on planet NSP-KD35, the shoe packs a lime green upper highlighted with a dark green on the heel counter and accented with orange on the laces.
I’d wear ‘em, that’s for sure. The weirder the better has always been my saying and these are insane art student kind of shoes.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games