Jan 22, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Brian Scalabrine played 11 seasons in the NBA (most notably with the Celtics and Bulls) and one pro season in Europe, and you did not. That fact was driven home with precision recently when Scalabrine, now a broadcaster with Comcast Sports New England, issued a challenge to a few select loudmouths in the Boston area.
After having had enough with callers claiming that they could beat him in a one-on-one game of hoops, Salcabrine offered a challenge (or Scallenge, as 98.5 The Sports Hub called it). He would take audition tapes from any and all challengers, and then choose the best four athletes to play him one-on-one. Here are the results of those four games:
Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.
All games were to 11, and the closest anyone came was Matt Tomaszewski, who played at Syracuse last season as a senior but did not see much playing time. He lost to Scalabrine, 11-3.
“I was expecting what I was expecting today,” Scalabrine said. “The only thing I think they weren’t expecting was my size defensively; how good I can cover ground defensively.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final