Jan 21, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
Sentence of the day so far:
Police were called to a scuffle at a Toronto-area hotel in what Skate Canada calls an unruly celebration involving figure skaters.
Area hospitals are reporting many hurt feelings, bruised egos, and one sequins-related rash.
It happened during the Canadian Figuring Skating Championships near Toronto on Sunday. That’s when police were called to the Delta Meadowvale hotel in Mississauga at 5 a.m., where eight Skate Canada members got into some sort of a fight on the second floor. Skate Canada, the governing body of figure skating, told the National Post that it was a celebration at the hotel that “got out of hand,” and that “skaters didn’t hush up when hotel staff confronted them over a noise complaint.”
Then, my favorite paragraph of the new year happened:
Mike Slipchuk with Skate Canada says police sent those involved back to their rooms, adding that one man had his cheek cut in the melee but that the injury was minor and didn’t require medical attention.
Hey, when you’re a Jet you’re a Jet all the way.
As sports fights go, a figure skating brawl ranks just below ‘baseball fight’ and just above ‘child beauty pageant disagreement’ on the risk-of-injury list.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found