Jan 17, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
It was probably one of the top ten sports hoaxes of all time, a story worthy of George Costanza. The only way that Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o could have made the tale about his fake girlfriend any more fantastical is if he also claimed that he was a marine biologist.
Was he duped, or simply spinning a fib? The answer is shrouded in mystery. What we do know is that from fake tragedy can often come great humor. Here is a sample of this morning’s Twitter reaction to this story (now including Jose Canseco comedy gold, toward bottom).
Possibly my favorite:
I’ll be adding to this all day so come on back and check in if you have the time.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found