Boston mayor ‘Mumbles’ Menino strikes again; butchers NE Patriots names in a most comical fashion (video)
Jan 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
In case you’ve forgotten about Boston mayor Ton Menino, he’s the Malaprop king of the east coast who’s at his best when giving speechs about his city’s sports teams. In 2010 he notoriously confused Patriots’ kicker Adam Vinatieri with Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, and then coined the term “ionic”. Also that year, NBA commissioner David Stern was surprised to hear that Menino, in a dedication ceremony for the Tobin Community Center, had changed his name to Donald.
And on Wednesday he was at it again, mangling even more names.
While engaging in some trash talk with the mayor of Baltimore this week in preparation of Sunday’s AFC title game between the Patriots and Ravens, Menino bragged about the play of “Wilcott” while trying to praise Vince Wilfork, the man whose jersey Menino was wearing at the time. That’s right, the guy’s name was right on Menino’s back and he still couldn’t get it right.
Menino also speculated on the return of “Gonk”, meaning, one would assume, “Gronk,” the nickname of Pats’ tight end Rob Gronkowski. Poor guy. Gonk just pawn in game of life, I guess.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found