Jan 16, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
If you’re like me, your favorite things in sports are squirrels running loose on Major League Baseball diamonds, and tennis players freaking out over calls that don’t go their way. Below please witness video of one of the latter, as Poland’s Jerzy Janowicz completely loses it in an argument with the chair umpire during a first-set tiebreak against India’s Somdev Devvarman at the Australian Open.
Leading 9-8 in the tiebreak, Janowicz snapped when his opponent hit a forehand down the line he believed was out. The chair umpire, Marija Cicak, ruled otherwise.
Evidently feeling he’d been wronged by Cicak previously, the Pole began screaming at her, “How many times? How many times?” before dropping to his knees on the court and spitting on the line. “I’m begging you!” he screamed at Cicak.
“I was just worried about his voice,” Devvarman said. “I mean, the guy was yelling at the top of his lungs and I was like, ‘Dude, just calm down.”’
During his tirade Janowicz, the No. 26 player in the world, also threw a water bottle across the court and hit the umpire;s chair with his hand.
Janowicz won, 6-7 (10), 3-6, 6-1, 6-0, 7-5.
“You can’t control your emotions all the time,” he said in a much better mood after the match. “Actually, I went nuts. I calmed down little bit later on. Sometimes I have problem to control my emotions, but I’m trying to work on this.”
And later will come the traditional levying of the fines.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found